Facebook successfully connects people all over the world. It is the most widely used social media platform for all generations. Its widespread popularity makes it an essential tool for business marketing.
Who Can Benefit From Facebook Marketing?
Image via Flickr by stockcatalog
Many businesses wonder if Facebook is an option for their business. With over 1.9 billion active Facebook users, many would agree that it is the ideal marketing platform for every business. Currently, over 50 million businesses are taking advantage of the Facebook business platform. The options for Facebook marketing really are endless, making it more important than ever to introduce Facebook into your businesses marketing campaign.
Advantages of a Facebook Business Presence
The majority of businesses will find that there are many advantages to having a Facebook business presence. These are just a few of the available advantages:
- Communication: Facebook gives you the opportunity to communicate with current and target customers in a way that no other method does.
- Personalize your business: A Facebook presence allows you to share history, images, and even values about your business. Customers are more likely to interact with a business that they are personally aligned with.
- Provide assistance: When consumers have a poor experience with a business, they are more likely to stop frequenting the business than to reach out with constructive criticism. Because Facebook opens the lines of communication, business owners have greater access to constructive feedback.
- Increased target audience: Facebook analytics are set up in a way that allows you to specifically target your ideal market. You can reach specific markets that are more likely to do business with you, without wasting valuable marketing dollars on those that are not.
- Monitor competitors: Competitive analysis is an important component in business success. Facebook allows you to monitor your biggest competitors, allowing you to learn from their mistakes and to take advantage of their successes.
- Measurable return on investment: Traditional marketing methods are not always analytically measurable. Facebook has a large collection of tools available to measure impressions, engagements, and even conversions.
Creating a Facebook Marketing Strategy
There are two important areas to focus on when creating a Facebook marketing strategy.
Organic reach refers to the traffic or audience to a page that is unpaid. Organic traffic generally comes from search engines, word of mouth, or through internet browsing. In terms of Facebook specifically, organic traffic can include those who follow a page or those who view a page’s posts.
Recent drops in Facebook’s organic reach have been discussed a lot lately as algorithm changes prioritized family and friends over businesses posts. Although it may be more difficult to achieve organic traffic today, it is still possible.
Achieving organic traffic following the algorithm update requires focusing on quality. Frequent Facebook posts are no longer relevant. Many experts today recommend focusing on a few high-quality, highly engaging posts each week instead. Appeal to people’s emotions and provide them with content that is both relevant and useful.
Paid Ads Reach
Facebook monetizes its advertising space with paid ads. These sponsored posts allow you to create ads with a specific goal intention in mind. You can then specify exactly who will see those ads and when they will see them. The Facebook ad platform is an extremely valuable tool for businesses, both local and international. The following steps will get you started in creating a customized Facebook campaign.
- Create a business manager/ads account: While you can manage your Facebook business page by clicking through your personal page on the main platform, there are many benefits to using a Facebook business manager and ads account. An ads accounts will help you keep payment information separate and to access creative tools for creating engaging ads.
- Develop a Paid Strategy: Similar to any other type of marketing strategy, it is important to create a plan. Who are you trying to target? What type of ad content will best reach that target market? What action do you want to achieve? You can also set up split testing to determine the best creatives to use for a specific strategy.
- Define your goals: Facebook marketing allows you to set your goal from the ads manager. You can drive traffic to your Facebook page, your website’s home page, or a specifically created landing page.
- Create ad: Some businesses choose to outsource the ad creative’s process. Others, however, use existing marketing materials or free designer sites to create new materials. When creating the ad, it is important to keep your target market in mind. Additionally, the ad content is just as important as the image itself. The two most important components of ad copy are quality score and a strong call to action.
- Set the target market: One of the biggest mistakes that Facebook advertisers make is not appropriately using the targeting tool within Facebook’s marketing platform. The tool controls who sees your ads and if it not utilized, you can end up wasting marketing dollars. Facebook gives you the opportunity to target ads based on location, age, gender, education, language, life events, household income, personal and professional interests, shopping habits, and much more.
- Set an ad spend budget: While Facebook includes pre-set daily limit recommendations, businesses can set any ad spend budget they want. The general rule of thumb is to spread your budget across multiple ad types during the initial trial period. After you establish what works and what does not, increase your budget in the successful areas and eliminate it from the unsuccessful ones.
One of the biggest advantages of Facebook marketing is the analytical abilities. Facebook has both organic page and paid ads reporting built into its platform. Audience insights inform business owners who they are currently reaching. Ad analytics inform owners just how many impressions, engagements, and conversions they are getting which can be translated into an actual return on investment (ROI).
Businesses continue to question the effectiveness of Facebook marketing. Facebook is the leading social media platform and it provides business owners with endless marketing opportunities.