- What Is Digital Publishing?
- Why Are People Moving Toward Digital Publishing?
- What Are the Benefits of Digital Publishing?
- Who Are Digital Publishers?
- What Is a Digital Publishing Platform?
- What Are the Benefits of Online Publishing Platforms?
- What Is the Difference Between a CMS and a DMS?
- What Are the Best Internet Publishing Platforms?
- How Are Digital Publications Published?
- What Is the Future of Digital Publishing?
In 1455, Gutenberg changed the world by introducing the printing press. With the help of high-tech publishing platforms, we have modified the information age once again. Thanks to digital publishing, we can easily access all of our favorite content, like magazines, newspapers, journals, and books, any time and anywhere in the world. What is digital publishing, how is it published, and how can your company take advantage of this technology for free? Learn the answers to these perplexing questions with our informative article.
What Is Digital Publishing?
Digital publishing, also called electronic or online publishing, refers to the distribution of an ever-growing number of publications, such as:
The process uses technology to digitize any document that someone can print. It then converts it into a format that can be easily distributed to readers and accessed by computer devices anywhere. Developers intended people to access these documents on screens using:
Why Are People Moving Toward Digital Publishing?
By no means was today’s level of e-publishing advancement an easy task. The existing state of easy-access information that we now enjoy took developers more than 40 years to accomplish. The era of digital publishing evolved from Adobe’s PDF to complex social media networks. It has emerged as a powerful force that has all but ended conventional publishing.
Statista reports that, as of January 2021, 4.66 billion people were active on the internet. That figure represents nearly 60% of the world’s total population. With this vast audience, covering almost every demographic, it’s easy to see why digital publishing is the future of media.
Technology has transformed the world of publishing tremendously since the 1980s when plain-text emails were all the rage. Many readers are moving away from traditional publishing methods and starting to rely more often on digital publishing due to the classic method’s limitations, such as:
- Less opportunity for creativity
- A longer publishing process
- Lower royalty rates
- Infrequent paydays
- Complicated contracts
- Loss of rights while signing a book deal
What Are the Benefits of Digital Publishing?
Compared to old-school publishing methods, the benefits of digital publishing are immense. It offers a whole new dimension for promoting your business. If you’re considering a shift to digital publishing, explore its many perks, such as:
Attract a Larger Audience
The digital publishing platform can help your business attract a broader audience. Get your content in front of seniors, college students, or people who like camping, for example.
You can even communicate information to persons with disabilities. With the help of different media, like audio recordings, informational videos, or visualized graphics, you can share your message with just about everyone. Static printed publications lack these engaging features and may cut out a large part of the population who could benefit from your products or services.
Digital publishing is a better resource for content distribution because it allows you to make your information available to billions of active readers on the internet. In 2020, there were almost 7 billion mobile users globally, and experts expect this figure to reach 7.3 billion by 2023. Out of the 7 billion mentioned above, 4.33 billion are active users.
As technology continues to find a place in our daily lives, people of all demographics increasingly depend on its convenience. Ensuring your content is mobile-device-compatible should be a significant goal for your business. Your content can reach billions of readers worldwide with your first campaign using digital publishing’s many benefits, like:
Easily Amend Errors
Mistakes are an inevitable part of every marketing campaign. Even the most experienced editors miss an error or two while proofing. When that happens, the best you can hope for is to minimize the error’s impact on your brand.
Digital publication allows you to quickly and effortlessly fix and update typos or factual errors before they reach your users. Once you print and distribute a traditional publication, you lose that advantage, and you have no way to amend the mistake without going back to the press for a reprint.
Engage Specific Readers
In addition to the opportunity to connect with a broader audience, a digital publishing platform can help you narrow down your message to appeal to a specific, targeted group of shoppers. The goal of your published content is to keep your audience engaged as long as possible. With today’s innovative digital publishing platforms, you can deliver a refreshing experience to whoever views your message.
Most contemporary users won’t endure loads of irrelevant advertisements, ineffective pop-ups, multifaceted site navigation, or boring messages of any kind. Your consumers want content that keeps them engrossed and responsive. Digital publishing removes all this obsolete clutter and provides its users with experiences that are mindful of their interests or answers their questions.
Reduce Advertising Costs
Digital publishing is a cost-effective tool to distribute your organization’s message. With the old-school way of publishing, it took 500,000 trees to produce each edition of a typical Sunday newspaper. All that paper is expensive. Before the digital boom, companies had vast design and advertising budgets for every stage of the process, including granting, creating, and producing final content.
On the other hand, electronic publishing is a cost-effective way to get your information to your followers. It doesn’t come with many of the common expenditures that print does, no matter how many people view your content. It can save your business money in many ways by reducing or eliminating a variety of expenses, like:
- Proofing: When running a print project, you also need to set aside some funds for pre-publishing expenses, like proofs and second or even third rounds.
- Printing: The cost of materials used in traditional paper printing and binding could reach thousands of dollars.
- Shipping and distribution: It makes sense that the more printed editions you distribute, the more it will cost, like increased trucking expenses and delivery personnel costs.
Achieve a Higher ROI
The greatest advantage of electronic publishing is its accessibility to generate revenue. If you’re a company that uses traditional publishing, you probably want to know just how digital publishing makes money. It generates income by leveraging a combination of business models, including:
- Affiliate linking
- Digital advertising
- Virtual event hosting
Implement Progressive Advertising Methods
Digital publications are an attractive choice for advertisers because, as the industry continues to grow, so do internet publishing platforms and third-party tracking systems. Web browsers are designed on cookie-based tracking, pushing businesses to move towards contextual advertising. With this method, marketers present users with ads that entirely relate to the content. For example, a construction magazine for residential projects may have ads for paints, furniture, or interior design.
This methodology provides publishers with an excellent opportunity to generate increased earnings for businesses, as ads can be inset multiple times, giving readers several chances to click on captivating calls-to-action (CTA) that lead to your company’s engaging landing page.
Who Are Digital Publishers?
Digital publishers are the people who create and distribute content online. These specialists also:
- Manage digital publishing campaigns for various clients
- Collect market research data
- Implement strategies to optimize content
- Efficiently reach target audiences through digital publishing platforms
The global digital publishing market has become an industry of more than $50 billion in 2020, and strategists expect it to reach $56.09 billion in 2021. A marketplace of this caliber couldn’t stand without these highly trained professionals.
What Is a Digital Publishing Platform?
Digital publishing platforms are the tools that administrators use to quickly assemble their content and broadcast it online for readers to easily access. This software system allows marketers and creators to bring the content to life by generating, editing, and publishing your message online.
It’s also an efficient solution for generating traffic from that content. Modern consumers want immediate access to the information they need and the things they enjoy. At the same time, publishers work hard to stay relevant as they learn to adapt to today’s rapidly changing marketplace.
What Are the Benefits of Online Publishing Platforms?
These innovative publishing tools offer advertisers numerous benefits. Many of these include:
Ability to Test Advertising Strategies
Digital publishing platforms offer computable data for your publications. When you have these metrics, it’s easier to track your progress and strategies to ensure that your users get the most charming experience. Through this data, you can test the effectiveness of your campaign with access to vital information, like:
- Who reads your blogs?
- How long are you able to keep visitors engaged?
- Which ads are getting the most clicks-through?
Extensive Options for Visual Content
Visual representation is on the rise as searchers and buyers want to see more than text. As reported by Small Business Trends, 81% of all digital companies estimate that 46% of their business will heavily depend on visual content marketing in 2021.
These statistics demonstrate that visual content is a vital perimeter for promoting your businesses. It inspires your audience to spend more time engrossed in your website’s offerings than mere textual content does. With the help of digital publishing platforms, you can develop strategies that integrate media, like:
- White papers
- Music and other audio files
Availability of Multiple Platforms
Put your content on multiple platforms with online publishing tools that automatically repurpose your content in various formats. This tool enables readers from every corner of the world to quickly access your information on their chosen devices. Choose platforms that will make your content visible and promote your publication by efficiently reaching its most suitable audience.
What Is the Difference Between a CMS and a DMS?
Digital asset management software (DMS) manages your content’s structured data. It provides you and your organization with the option to quickly source, adapt, and deliver popular asset formats in the traditional sense, like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF formats.
Content management systems (CMS) make sure that your message is consistent by suggesting automated tools that help you to scale your content. It can handle both structured and unstructured data formats, such as HTML files and digital assets, like images, audio clips, and video files.
What Are the Best Internet Publishing Platforms?
Are you on the lookout for the most effective platforms in 2021 to digitally publish articles and blogs? Whether your high-profile corporate marketing firm is into flashy online magazine publishing or you’re a mom-and-pop motorcycle shop introducing new products to your clients, this list features the top platforms to grow your business, including:
Adobe Experience Manager
If your company needs a platform that can bring your content and digital asset management together in one place, then Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) could be the best pick. It provides publishers with the option to bring ideas to life with robust apps, like 3D compositioning.
There are a few things you need to know about AEM, such as:
- It uses AI and machine learning to scale your efforts and help you produce, handle, deliver, and optimize great content.
- AEM presents your content in a meaningful way to each of your customers by creating a unified customer profile.
- This digital publishing tool allows you to adapt content according to your users’ preferences quickly.
- Through AEM, you can utilize AI for tagging, cropping, and distribution purposes.
- It does require an expert development team to initially configure and manage technical issues for your company.
If you are looking for an affordable setup that’s relatively easy to use, WordPress may be the answer. This content management system is one of the fastest-growing platforms on the market, and its use has spread widely among novice developers. According to WordCamp, more than 75 million websites, or approximately 27% of the internet, are powered by WordPress.
If you don’t have a large enough budget to draw traffic to your content, consider using WordPress. After analyzing data gathered by Google trends from 2004 through the present, it shows that WordPress-connected keywords rank higher among search engine questions than its competitors.
Consider the following factors before using WordPress:
- WordPress is a free digital publication tool for everyone to use. You only have to pay for your hosting and any additional plugins you may need.
- It’s easy to set up and configure, plus you’re not required to complete any initial training.
- This platform has a massive community of contributors, a less-than-ideal situation for publishers, which creates unpredictability for writers.
- Some plugins don’t work together, and others may have poorly generated codes.
- Because of its widespread popularity, WordPress demands a lot of maintenance, and its security can be vulnerable.
StoryChief has a built-in SEO tool that allows publishers to produce interactive articles across multiple channels with a single click. This functionality enables businesses to create more leads while saving up to six hours of production time per story.
These facts will help you learn more about StoryChief.
- StoryChief doesn’t require any initial integration or a team of technical engineers to get started.
- With this platform, you can quantify all your channel’s performance in one user-friendly dashboard.
- It doesn’t have a digital management system and requires the help of other content management systems for integration purposes.
CopyPress allows publishers to create, promote, and scale their content according to their marketing needs. Its ROI-focused tools, such as the proprietary Dante software, enables CopyPress to streamline creating, managing, and publishing processes.
Utilizing CopyPress’ expertise comes with numerous benefits, including:
- It provides real-time reporting on the status of assignments and campaigns whenever you need it.
- CopyPress gives publishers the ability to provide direct feedback with just a couple of clicks.
- This digital publishing community provides micro-businesses with a better way to capitalize on their efforts with ROI-oriented strategies.
- The company’s trained creatives publish engaging campaigns with compelling content, including articles, infographics, flipbooks, eBooks, and white papers.
When it comes to digital magazine publishing, Issuu is the top platform for several reasons. From a reader’s perspective, there are hundreds of free publications available on the internet. Set your content apart with Issuu’s help.
Subscribers can focus solely on your content and not be distracted by advertisements on this digital platform. Issuu also allows its users to pre-schedule their campaigns for publication, making it even easier to plan your campaigns well in advance and launch them on time, every time.
If you’re shopping around for an internet publishing platform for books, Amazon’s Kindle is one of the leading options for you. This self-publishing platform holds 67% of the e-Book buying market. Amazon offers plenty of benefits for publishers on its Kindle, such as:
- You can correct mistakes easily.
- You can publish books quickly and relatively inexpensively.
- You can earn royalties of up to 70% when you sell your books with Amazon.
The nationally published average rate for author’s royalties is only between 10 and 15%. This metric alone clearly shows why Amazon’s platform is a better option for publishers than print, resulting in the enormous spike in digital publishing today.
How Are Digital Publications Published?
There are many business models in the digital publishing arena that your organization can adopt. The rate at which technology improves has an impact on how well your publications perform. Staying current with these trends provides your company with the continuing opportunity to improve methodologies.
Which direction should your digital publishing be heading in for 2021? Your firm must define its business model by considering these factors:
- Your target audience
- How relevant and unique is your content?
- What does your company’s development strategy look like?
- How can your business diversify its income streams?
- How much is your brand willing to pay to grow its success?
A sustainable publishing model enables you and your team to produce high-quality, relevant content while increasing its reader audience and boosting its number of reliable advertisers. If you’re an aspiring publisher, take a look at some of the most successful strategies that are trending today:
- Recurring subscriptions and memberships
- Retail and e-commerce
- Programmatic advertising